Sunday 8 April 2012

BA3 Companion Cube - Update 1

Its been some time since my last blog entry. However, I think I've come on a long way from when we began.

After we were introduced to the companion cube project, we were given a couple of basic lessons on the first few steps, with our tutor, Mark. When these sessions took place I had already progressed further on my own. Mark showed us his own method of making the core cube, and told us about a couple of tools. There would be several sessions following these ones, continuing onwards, sticking to the same method. I however, had started a few days before the first lesson, and simply made the cube in my own way. It may not be as 'exacting' as Mark's method, but I felt happier making good progress with my own way.



Beginning to add borders to the edges


I began with the core shape of the Companion Cube. Then moved onto creating a border, which ran round the edges of the cube's shape. I had to use the subdivision tool to get a perfectly proportional cube, divided into smaller cubes. And the extrude tool, to push and pull the faces around to get the border edge. All of this was ad hoc. I was just trying to teach myself how to create this cube as i saw it.


I was often unsuccessful, with unexpected things happening, and the process revealing itself to be more and more complex as I went on. It was frustrating when I was faced with large problems, which I didn't know how to solve. But I was persistent, and kept on at it. Trying various ways in which to get round it. I asked for help when it was available, and spent much time in the media lab slowly constructing the shapes I needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment