Monday 18 November 2013

BA7 - Studio - Entry 1

 I have now gone through several ideas for what to do for my studio project. At the beginning of term, I knew I wanted to pursue my goal of becoming more proficient in 3D modelling. Having decided to give up on my original aspiration of becoming a concept artist. So I knew I wanted to create a small environmental scene, preferably in Maya, with a fully finished, textured, geometrically efficient model at the end of BA8. I just had to decide what to choose. This was a big decision for me, and as a result, I had lots of different project ideas.

My first thought was to create something from one of my favourite horror movies'; 'The Evil Dead'. I thought about the movie, and came up with the idea that the cabin was the ideal size for the project. I would re-watch the film several times if necessary, going over every frame in detail, so to get the most accurate recreation possible. I aimed to create the cabin itself, with the interior fully modelled and textured, as if being played from a first-person view perspective. I also wanted to model the shed outside, and the 'almost-iconic' Delta 88 'Oldsmobile' as well.



Another idea I had was to look at a fantasy universe that I have a personal passion with and a great love for; the Warhammer 40,000 universe. I wanted to create some kind of 'digital diorama' depicting a scene, telling a story with only a snapshot. The same basic form as the 'Evil Dead' idea, but just different content. Back in first year, in BA3, I created a bunker door from the game 'Fire Warrior', which is set in the Warhammer 40,000 universe. I was very pleased with the end result for this project, and got my highest mark out of all the modules I've done so far for it.

My finished BA3 project from first year
For BA7, I will do something similar, a small but well polished scene that shows my potential with 3D modelling. So far, I have done a few quick concept sketches of what I might like to do.

Battlefield ruins 1

Battlefield ruins 2

Heretics Hill 1

Heretics Hill 2

Battle for Valhalla

No comments:

Post a Comment