Friday 25 January 2013

BA5 - WW1 Trench Scene - Entry 2

I have been modelling a few different assets for my scene. These are going to be objects that could be ubiquitous to the WW1 setting of the game. I need to sketch out the layout of my trench scene before I can model it. But I am making a few props just to get started. So far, I have started;

-A British 'Brodie' helmet
-An enamel mug
-A bayonet
-A wooden crate
-A SMLE ammunition clip
-A tin plate
-A modular section of barbed wire
-A British SMLE rifle
-A hand grenade, or 'Mill's bomb'
-An individual .303 round
-And a British, Mark 1 Tank


My model of a 1907 pattern bayonet

The wooden crate model, awaiting texturing

The low-poly model of an enamel mug

A high-poly version of an SMLE stripper clip
High-poly Mill's bomb model

The British Brodie helmet model

I have found that using reference images is very important if you are modelling man-made objects, with strictly defined detentions and angles. Ideally, you would need high-resolution images of the objects, with views from the side, both if necessary, front, back and top views. I have found finding, good quality images for 3D modelling a challenge. For most of the objects I have made, I have had only had a collection of 3 quarter views  to study. However, for example, I did manage to get hold of good side-on views of the bayonet, grenade and rifle models.

Efficiency is vital for creating good 3D assets for a game engine. I have learned that there are certain tools in Maya that are not suitable for creating models for games. Also, there should be no hidden faces on a finished model. Furthermore, I have discovered that there seems to be a delicate balance at the core of 3D modelling. That a balance exists between creating a model that is realistic looking as possible, and that is using a minimum of polygons. The models i have created so far are by no means perfect, but I am eager to learn and improve, so I may produce professional, efficient models, appropriate for a game engine. And I suppose that is partly the goal of my brief, to successfully import a scene into a game engine.

No comments:

Post a Comment