Sunday 20 January 2013

BA5 - WW1 Trench Scene - Entry 1

For BA5, we have been allowed to dictate our own brief, within reason. I see this change as part of the process of letting us act completely independently, as expected in our third year. I decided to carry on from last term's project of the Game Design Document. I wanted to focus on 3d modelling. My primary strength is traditional 2D artwork, but I found that I also greatly enjoy creating 3 dimensional models. My goal for this project, is to make a small sample of a level, that could be found in our game, 'Beasts of Battle'.

Given the setting of my game, the First World War, a trench scene seems the most straightforward idea.  I would model a short section of a British trench, with firing steps, maybe a small officer's dugout and various detritus scattered throughout the model. In addition, I would make a portion of cratered 'no-mans land' alongside the trench. The brief states that whatever we create has to be interactive in some way. Maybe I could construct an ammunition crate that the player could open and close. Furthermore, I could make a door to the dugout, which would also be able to be opened and closed. Lastly, I have the ambitious idea of making a static machine gun that the player could man, and fire. At this initial stage, I do not know if this machine gun idea is a realistic goal.


Corrugated iron to strengthen the trench's sides.

An infantry assault.

The soldier on the left, is resting in a foxholes, quite literally, just a hole, dug into the side of the trench. 
Here, the sides are propped up with a kind of wooden weave. 
A grim recreation of a trench with fallen soldier, tangled in wire.

1 comment:

  1. Dear gad tom I am interested in using the corrugated iron trench picture. Can you tell me where you sourced it from ? Thanks Philippe Bieler zeapers@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete